Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Variegated thread edging

or Pink hanky, part 2. You may have noticed a duplicate posting about the trials and tribulations of tatting with variegated thread. That's what happens when hubby is trying to hustle me out to the store and I don't pay attention to what I'm doing. What I meant to post was this part about the finished hanky.

When I finished the first row and started the next round I used up that left over bit that had been wound around the ball and of course when it ran out I had to join in new thread, but fortunately the splice happened in the long pink section.

One thing I wasn't thrilled with was that in the section where the green pooled and I had green on top and bottom, it pooled again on the second row. There's not too much that can be done about it except maybe ripping it out and starting again. Thankfully, I missed out on the perfectionist gene and I'm OK with letting it sit.

All of the angst over how to handle the corner turned out to be a non-issue. I just repeated the same thing on the second row and it worked perfectly. I had started the second row at the green bit and when I came around to join into it, I just happened to hit another green bit, so there wasn't any need to adjust it at all.

I was also pleased with how the thread colour complimented the pink embroidered flowers. So I guess it was a success after all. I have a few more hankies to add edgings to, but right now I'm working on a bookmark which should be finished today or tomorrow.
Edited to add: One other thing I thought I'd mention, The 2 rows of edging took almost an entire ball of size 80 thread. I have a full ball of the same thread and the ball that I used looked to be the same size. I was down to the cardboard core when I finished. There's enough left to make a bookmark or something, but that's about it.  

9 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

I hear ya! I feel I have a great way of making the thread hide if I have to cut and with variegated I mark where I am at and tie in the color so no noticeable jumps.

Ladytats said...

Deja Vu? I am sure I read this post before. but it is dated today. Anyway, sorry for the thread issues. Sometimes it is difficult to get things to work out the way you want them to. That is a nice vine edge, and easy to do. It looks good on the hanky

Marty said...

That's the irritation with regularly variegated threads. I like my sister's tie-dye threads because they are so irregular it makes very little difference. What you do would depend on who its for. Sure, you want your best work for everyone, but some people won't notice anything but the beauty of the lace and how nice you are. :)

God's Kid said...

Your edging looks very beautiful to me!!! And it compliments the colors and design very well!!! :)

Anonymous said...

If you ever use similar thread and the same - or a similar - edging, maybe a shoelace trick at or right after the corner bit would change up the thread enough to avoid the pooling problem. The edging looks lovely, and the green pooling parts look good to me. The thread coordinates with the embroidery so beautifully, too.
StephanieW

Madtatter80 said...

The second row really fixed things up looks great!

Lelia said...

Stunning! I keep trying to gather courage to edge something.

I've been going over edge patterns and need more courage to proceed.

You have a winner here ; )

Jane McLellan said...

So pretty!

Margarets designer cards said...

You hit the nail on the head with the variegated thread, I love the variegated thread it makes a more interesting item than a plain thread, but when you have to join sometimes it just does not quite work out.
Your hanky looks lovely but I can see what you mean about the green, I don't think it makes any difference to someone who does not know about thread.
Margaret